Connecting the world…

2010

Microsoft UAG – Invalid External Port bug

Last week I have installed a Microsoft UAG array. I installed Microsoft ForeFront Unified Access Gateway 2010 including Service Pack 1. When using an array configuration you have to deploy Microsoft’s Network Load Balancing (NLB) for redundancy and load balancing purposes. I configured NLB with multicast and IGMP support. I had configured some HTTPS trunks and some HTTP trunks for http-to-https redirection.

Everything was working perfectly and I decided to install the update KB2585140 (ForeFront UAG SP1 Update 1). The main reason for installation was the introduction of SharePoint 2010 with Office Web Apps and Lync web services publishing.

The installation process was easy and completed without any errors. I noticed that after installing the update I couldn’t activate any configuration changes. Everything I hit Activate I receive the following error message:

uag-error-update1

The Activation works again by deleting all HTTP trunks and only use HTTPS trunks. The customer started a support call with Microsoft and Microsoft acknowledges this behavior when installing the update on an array configuration. At first Microsoft advised to “break” the array and use a stand-alone server deployment. If that isn’t an option we should uninstall the update. We are told that the current configuration will get to the configuration state prior to the installation.

This morning the customer received another e-mail from Microsoft stating at more and more calls were logged with the same issues. The issues now has the highest priority for the Microsoft UAG developers. Microsoft couldn’t tell when the issue will be fixed, but I guess very soon.

So when using a Microsoft UAG array configuration DON’T install Microsoft UAG SP1 Update-1.

Outlook 2010 and Google Calendar Sync

I replaced my Outlook 2007 with Outlook 2010. Since I am using Google Calendar, I would like to sync my calendar with Outlook. With Outlook 2007 you can use the Google Calendar Sync application. After installing Outlook 2010 the synchronization of the calendar didn’t function anymore. While synchronizing you will receive the following error message.

google_calendar_sync_error Outlook 2010 is available for some time now, so I don’t understand why Google didn’t release a version of Google Calender Sync which support Outlook 2010. I searched the internet and found the following article on the Google Forum. The article describes how the replace the GoogleCalendarSync.exe with a modified executable. The modified executable can be found here.

Just close the GoogleCalendarSync application and create a backup of the current executable. Replace the current executable with the modified version and restart GoogleCalendarSync. Now you are able to synchronize your Google calendar with Outlook. As far as I have read the thread on the Google forum, this solution should work for 32-bit versions of Outlook 2010. The status for 64-bit versions is unknown.