Secure LDAP between Softerra and Novell NDS
Softerra LDAP Browser is a powerful tool for browsing servers, which support LDAP. Using Softerra LDAP Browser against a Novell NDS with secure LDAP is a different story. A secure LDAP connection is a connection which uses SSL certificates to encrypt the data stream.
I had to use my LDAP Browser to query a Novell NDS over a secure LDAP connection. After some searching, troubleshooting and cursing, I finally had a working situation. Here are the steps to perform this task:
- Download and install NetScape Communicator 4.8: I hear you think, but you have to install this specific version to retrieve the SSL certificate from the NDS server;
- Browse with NetScape to the NDS server: if the NDS server has the IP address 10.10.10.10 and secure LDAP is running on TCP port 636, you should browse to the following URL https://10.10.10.10:636 and accept the certificate;
- Retrieve the cert7.db and key3.db files from NetScape and copy to Softerra: after accepting the certificate, two new files are generated in the install directory from NetScape. These files are cert7.db and key3.db. The specific folder, in my situation, is: %install directory%\Users\default\. These files should be copied to the install directory from the Softerra LDAP Browser;
- Configure Softerra LDAP Browser: the last step is configuring Softerra LDAP Browser to connect to the NDS server over a secure LDAP connection. When using the correct parameters, the secure LDAP connection should be accessible and you are ready to browse;
The following two tabs change content below.
Co-owner and Solution Specialist at 4IP Solutions
René Jorissen works as Solution Specialist for 4IP in the Netherlands. Network Infrastructures are the primary focus. René works with equipment of multiple vendors, like Cisco, Aruba Networks, FortiNet, HP Networking, Juniper Networks, RSA SecurID, AeroHive, Microsoft and many more. René is Aruba Certified Edge Expert (ACEX #26), Aruba Certified Mobility Expert (ACMX #438), Aruba Certified ClearPass Expert (ACCX #725), Aruba Certified Design Expert (ACDX #760), CCNP R&S, FCNSP and Certified Ethical Hacker (CEF) certified. You can follow René on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Latest posts by René Jorissen (see all)
- MacOS Big Sur and SSLKEYFILELOG - November 23, 2021
- ClearPass, Azure AD, SSO and Object ID - August 12, 2021
- ClearPass – custom MPSK - July 20, 2021