Connecting the world…

driver

Citrix NetScaler: Protocol Driver Error

Today I have been troubleshooting a Citrix NetScaler configuration, where some clients received the Protocol Driver Error message when executing a published application. This error message is mostly related to a wrong configuration of the Security Ticket Authorities (STA’s). I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this issue and focused on the STA configuration. I have been deleting, adding and modifying multiple STA’s to the configuration of the NetScaler without any luck. I checked the configuration of the firewall, but this wasn’t the problem either.

I decided to go back to basic and just added one STA to the Virtual Server and the STA service group used by the Web Interface. I was able to login with that STA server, but after a while I wasn’t able to login and received the Protocol Driver Error again.

While browsing through the NetScaler I noticed one thing. Every time I wasn’t able to login, there were 5 concurrent users already connected with the NetScaler. I did some more research on the internet and found the following article.

Reading the article, tells me that, by default, only 5 concurrent ICA sessions are possible through the NetScaler. I checked the license and the customer has a license for 50 SSL VPN connections, like shown below:

> show license
License status:
Web Logging: YES
Surge Protection: NO
Load Balancing: YES
Content Switching: YES
Cache Redirection: NO
Sure Connect: NO
Compression Control: NO
Delta Compression: NO
Priority Queuing: NO
SSL Offloading: YES
Global Server Load Balancing: NO
GSLB Proximity: NO
Http DoS Protection: NO
Dynamic Routing: YES
Content Filtering: YES
Integrated Caching: NO
SSL VPN: YES  (Maximum users = 50)
AAA: NO
OSPF Routing: NO
RIP Routing: NO
BGP Routing: NO
Rewrite: YES
IPv6 protocol translation: YES
Application Firewall: NO
Responder: YES
HTML Injection: NO
NetScaler Push: NO

I increased the default value to 50 with the following command:

> set aaa parameter -maxAAAUsers 50

From that point on I was able to start another ICA connection, while there were already 5 concurrent users connected. Now I have to wait and see if this actually solved the problem, but I guess it has.

I tried to increase the –maxAAAUsers value to a value higher than 50, but that isn’t possible as you can see.

> set aaa parameter -maxAAAUsers 100
ERROR: MaxAAAUsers value not allowed by license