Configuration Example, IPSec / SSL VPN
Citrix NetScaler: Protocol Driver Error
Today I have been troubleshooting a Citrix NetScaler configuration, where some clients received the Protocol Driver Error message when executing a published application. This error message is mostly related to a wrong configuration of the Security Ticket Authorities (STA’s). I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this issue and focused on the STA configuration. I have been deleting, adding and modifying multiple STA’s to the configuration of the NetScaler without any luck. I checked the configuration of the firewall, but this wasn’t the problem either.
I decided to go back to basic and just added one STA to the Virtual Server and the STA service group used by the Web Interface. I was able to login with that STA server, but after a while I wasn’t able to login and received the Protocol Driver Error again.
While browsing through the NetScaler I noticed one thing. Every time I wasn’t able to login, there were 5 concurrent users already connected with the NetScaler. I did some more research on the internet and found the following article.
Reading the article, tells me that, by default, only 5 concurrent ICA sessions are possible through the NetScaler. I checked the license and the customer has a license for 50 SSL VPN connections, like shown below:
> show license
Web Logging: YES
Surge Protection: NO
Load Balancing: YES
Content Switching: YES
Cache Redirection: NO
Sure Connect: NO
Compression Control: NO
Delta Compression: NO
Priority Queuing: NO
SSL Offloading: YES
Global Server Load Balancing: NO
GSLB Proximity: NO
Http DoS Protection: NO
Dynamic Routing: YES
Content Filtering: YES
Integrated Caching: NO
SSL VPN: YES (Maximum users = 50)
OSPF Routing: NO
RIP Routing: NO
BGP Routing: NO
IPv6 protocol translation: YES
Application Firewall: NO
HTML Injection: NO
NetScaler Push: NO
I increased the default value to 50 with the following command:
> set aaa parameter -maxAAAUsers 50
From that point on I was able to start another ICA connection, while there were already 5 concurrent users connected. Now I have to wait and see if this actually solved the problem, but I guess it has.
I tried to increase the –maxAAAUsers value to a value higher than 50, but that isn’t possible as you can see.
> set aaa parameter -maxAAAUsers 100
ERROR: MaxAAAUsers value not allowed by license
Latest posts by René Jorissen (see all)
- MacOS Big Sur and SSLKEYFILELOG - November 23, 2021
- ClearPass, Azure AD, SSO and Object ID - August 12, 2021
- ClearPass – custom MPSK - July 20, 2021
We had a similar incident last week and which is how I happen to see your article searching for a solution. But in my case the issue started at 10:30 and got resolved at 1:30, although our focus was around STA as protocol driver error and we were changing the STA on NetScaler to see if any STA failed. But suddently at 1:30 things started working and we though moving the STA might have fixed it altough all the STAs. But later during the day we realised that there was a DNS failure in our environment and my NetScalers were pointed to the failed DNS server.
The solution you wrote for this issue applied as we to me but for a different error message. Last year during the same time we were going live with NetScaler implementation and were not aware of the 5 user limitation. Once the 6th user would connect the user would see the error message something like “You have exceeded the allowed number of user”. Once we raised the number everything was good.