A few days ago I installed and configured the SSL VPN solution OpenVPN ALS, which is a direct descendant of Adito, which has a fork of SSL-Explorer. OpenVPN ALS is a simple to use SSL VPN solution to publish multiple services via browser-based portal. OpenVPN uses Java to publish multiple services. OpenVPN ALS isn’t an enterprise SSL VPN solution, but nevertheless useful for SMB environments with no special needs.
I made some nodes for the installation of OpenVPN ALS, which helps you installing the SSL VPN solution. The notes can be found below. I used the following hardware to install OpenVPN ALS.
- Simple Dell Latitude D830 laptop with VMware Workstation;
- Ubuntu Server 10.10;
- Adito 0.9.1;
Follow these steps to install OpenVPN ALS.
– Install Ubuntu Server 10.10
– Update / upgrade Ubuntu packages
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
– Install tasksel, the Debian/Ubuntu tool that installs multiple related packages as a co-ordinated “task” onto the system
sudo apt-get intall tasksel
– Install the LAMP server and OpenSSH server using tasksel
– Install Java JDK and the dependencies including Java JRE
sudo apt-get install default-jdk
– Install ant, the Java-based build application comparable to make
sudo apt-get install ant
– Download the adito.tar.gz and copy it to the directory /opt
– Extract the tar.gz file
sudo tar zxvf adito-0.9.1.tar.gz
– Start the installation
sudo ant install
[echo] Couldn’t find tools.jar from $ADITO_HOME/adito/lib
[echo] Copying the tools.jar from your JDK
[copy] Copying 1 file to /opt/adito-0.9.1/lib
[java] Starting installation wizard…..
[java] Point your browser to http://aparedis.geelen-beton.local:28080.
[java] Press CTRL+C or use the ‘Shutdown’ option from the web interface to leave the installation wizard.
– Open the web browser for further configuration
– Configure the multiple options, like SSL certificate, user authentication, super user and web server parameters. I used Active Directory integration as user authentication method, which works like a charm.
– Install the Adito service
sudo ant install-service
– Start the Adito service
sudo ant start
– Configure the SSL VPN applications, by opening a web browser and login with the configured super user
– You can find multiple extensions on the internet to publish applications like RDP and a Mozilla Firefox web browser. An example of a website to download extensions can be found here.