Softerra LDAP Browser is a powerful tool for browsing servers, which support LDAP. Using Softerra LDAP Browser against a Novell NDS with secure LDAP is a different story. A secure LDAP connection is a connection which uses SSL certificates to encrypt the data stream.
I had to use my LDAP Browser to query a Novell NDS over a secure LDAP connection. After some searching, troubleshooting and cursing, I finally had a working situation. Here are the steps to perform this task:
While configuring a LDAP mapping for a RSA Authentication Manager 6.1 with an Active Directory Domain Controller, I received the following error while running the Synchronisation task
c:\RSA\prog\sdldapsync.exe -j 102
“[LDAP search] Search failed (check Base DN)”
At first I thought about a typo while configuring the Synchronisation task. To test the LDAP connection with the domain controller I installed Softerra’s LDAP Browser. With this tool the LDAP connection is working perfectly when using the same credentials, BaseDN and LDAP Query Filter.
After searching the internet I found the MaxPageSize issue in Windows. I reported the same issue in a blog about eSafe and LDAP. When running the sdaceldap command you can see that the MaxPageSize is reached by the LDAP query.
Correct usage: sdaceldap <-h hostname> <-p port> [-b basedn] [-s scope] [-d import|compare] [-o output file] [-m schema map file] <-D binddn -w passwd> <-Z -P path> filter
C:\RSA\utils\toolkit>sdaceldap.exe -h 10.1.1.100 -p 389 -b ou=Users,dc=booches,=nl -s sub -d import -o AD_Users.csv -m active.map -D SA_LDAP@booches.nl -w LDAP_passwd “objectclass=user”
Distinguished Name: ou=Users,dc=booches,dc=nl
Output Filename: AD_Users.csv
ldap_search_s Sizelimit exceeded
The output shows that the Sizelimit is exceeded. I find a tool on the internet which can be used to retrieve the MaxPageSize from a Windows machine. This tool is called AdFind.
Executing this tool on the Domain Controller tells me the MaxPageSize is set to 2000.
c:>adfind -e -config -f “&(objectcategory=querypolicy)(name=default quer
y policy)” ldapadminlimits
AdFind V01.37.00cpp Joe Richards (firstname.lastname@example.org) June 2007
Using server: dc01.booches.nl:389
Directory: Windows Server 2003
Base DN: CN=Configuration,DC=booches,DC=nl
dn:CN=Default Query Policy,CN=Query-Policies,CN=Directory Service,CN=Windows NT,
1 Objects returned
To minimize the number of objects that are returned in a single search I configured a LDAP Query Filter, which is shown below:
or the equivalent
This query has the following properties. The object should have the objectClasses user AND person AND the account should NOT be disabled AND should not contain the objectClass computer. This already excludes some objects, like workstations and servers.