Aruba Networks, Configuration Example
AirWave & VMware Tools installation
It is recommended to install the VMware Tools before running the AMP setup. After deploying the AMP ova file and starting the VM, you can interrupt the installation process via CTRL+C. This gives you access to the AMP shell. Use the following steps to install VMware Tools on a HPE Aruba AirWave Management Platform appliance:
- From the VMware vSphere Client, open the console to the VM and select VM – Guest – Install/Update VMware Tools;
- Type mkdir -p /media/cdrom
- Mount the CD-ROM via mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
- Copy the installation file cp /media/cdrom/VMwareTools-*.tar.gz /tmp
- Unmount the CD-ROM umount /media/cdrom
- Extract the installation file cd /tmp; tar -zxvf VMwareTools-*.tar.gz
- Run the VMware Tools setup and install script by typing /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl –default (2x hyphen)
The installation will take a few minutes. After the installation is finished you can restart the VM via the command init 6 or reboot.
Check the VMware Tools installation after the reboot by interrupting the AMP installation again and type the command vmware-toolbox-cmd -v. This will give you information about the installed version of VMware Tools.
You can now start the AMP installation again via the command /root/amp-install.
Latest posts by René Jorissen (see all)
- MacOS Big Sur and SSLKEYFILELOG - November 23, 2021
- ClearPass, Azure AD, SSO and Object ID - August 12, 2021
- ClearPass – custom MPSK - July 20, 2021
Rene, nice post. What is even easier, and recommended by VMWare is to use the open-vm-tools instead of the tools that come with ESXi as those tools are updated by RedHat/Debian/Ubuntu to exactly match the running OS.
It requires 2 commands:
Install the epel-release package (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux repository configuration)
yum install -y epel-release
Then install the open-vm-tools package:
yum install -y open-vm-tools